What We Do
Efficient Legal Counsel Handling All Aspects
of Intellectual Property Law
Hankin Patent Law offers effective and economical intellectual property counsel and representation to clients throughout California, the United States, and the world.
The firm represents plaintiffs and defendants in all types of intellectual property litigation, asserting the intellectual property rights of those seeking to protect their competitive advantage, as well as defending the rights of accused infringers. The firm also acts as local counsel in the Los Angeles area for national and international companies with intellectual property matters within the jurisdiction.
Clients include large and small companies and individuals, many operating in the fields of home theater, technology, jewelry, and fashion. The firm provides legal representation in the following areas:
- Patent Law: Hankin Patent Law represents clients in the prosecution and protection of utility and design patents. We will research prior art, prepare all filings, respond to requests and office actions from the Patent Office, and handle all appeals. We also handle all litigation to enforce patents or defend clients accused of patent infringement.
- Trademark: The firm advises and represents clients in all matters related to obtaining and protecting trademarks and service marks. We counsel clients on how to select names that meet trademark guidelines, prepare all the filings necessary to obtain trademark protection, prosecute infringement actions on behalf of our clients, and defend clients accused of trademark infringement. We also handle allegations of palming off and trade dress violations.
- Copyright: Hankin Patent Law handles all aspects of copyright prosecution and litigation for our clients. We prepare all the necessary filings to obtain federal copyright protection and litigate infringement claims for our clients. Hankin Patent Law can assist photographers, artists, and writers to set up a cost-effective system for registering multiple works as they are created.
- Trade Secrets: The firm works with clients to help them decide whether to use patent law to protect their ideas or to guard their valuable business ideas through the law of trade secrets. Hankin Patent Law will prepare an appropriate non-disclosure or confidentiality agreement, as required to protect any trade secrets, and will handle all litigation related to the suspected disclosure of any trade secrets.
- Global Protections: As a result of Mr. Hankin’s participation in the Hague Conference on Choice of Court Agreements, and his connections with intellectual property lawyers around the world, the firm is prepared to secure global protection for your intellectual property.
- Intellectual Property Licensing: Hankin Patent Law is experienced in preparing and negotiating all types of intellectual property licenses for our clients. The firm also handles any litigation arising out of the alleged breach of a licensing agreement.
- Unfair Competition and False Advertising: Hankin Patent Law represents clients in negotiated settlements and litigation related to alleged violations of state and federal unfair competition laws, including the Lanham Act and California Business and Professions Code Section 17200.